Article Link: Read it at The LoDown here
Originally Posted: September, 2020
Just after midnight on Thursday, a big fire broke out at 301-303 Grand St., a 3 story building at Allen Street. Three firefighters were treated for minor injuries.
As City Council member Margaret Chin noted later in the day on Thursday, “Our office was on the scene today to offer support to those affected by last night’s fire at 301 and 303 Grand St. This bakery and dollar store were beloved by so many members of our community. We must continue to look out for our small businesses.”
One of the impacted businesses is Grand Tea and Imports. Here’s what the owners had to say on their Instagram feed:
Sometimes when you take a big leap forward, you will hit a couple of snags. We felt this last night when a three-alarm fire hit our store and severely damaged inventory that we were going to move to our new location. We were one of three victims in the Grand Street fire and came out with extensive inventory loss. Initial estimates puts the amount at $60K. We incurred more than just financial losses though. We had teas and antiques dating more than 30 years old. And treasures that our family collected from all parts of China for years are no longer replaceable. We are incredibly grateful that in the aftermath of this event, we have been supported by friends and family from all corners. Though times have been tough, we are inspired by everyone’s support to keep rallying. We will survive this and we will be open again soon.
The newish organization, Send Chinatown Love, has set up a fundraising page for the business, and more than $16,000 has been donated so far. And you can visit the new location at 300 Grand St.